A person with Migraine is a person that undergoes a lot of headaches most of the times. Though they are different from other headaches but are way more severe. There are many medications that doctors usually prescribe for a person having migraine but did you know even Ayurveda can be beneficial in dealing with this critical condition.
Migraine is a neurological condition that is characterized by severe & debilitating headaches. Migraines are usually hereditary & often run in families. There are multiple symptoms that can cause Migraine like nausea, sensitivity to sound, light & touch, vomiting, numbness, giddiness, etc. The pain can also pass through from the head to the neck & shoulders as well.
According to research, about 1 billion people globally are affected by this illness between the age group of 18 to 24 years. The pain is so severe sometimes that it can last for 4 hours to 3 or 4 days. And, to treat, this illness people generally resort to painkillers or other strong medications. These attacks occur mostly once or twice in a month.
But how does Ayurveda helps in treating Migraine?
According to the Ayurveda, these severe headaches are caused due to Vatta- Pitta imbalance & too much of toxins in the body (Ama) & suggests various remedies that can help curb this illness as much as possible.
- Eating 4-5 almonds every morning after soaking it overnight is a good way to reduce the pain.
- Having boiled ginger in water& having this drink is also beneficial.
- Drinking warm milk every day with a bit of cardamom, turmeric & saffron also helps.
- Applying nutmeg paste or sandalwood on the forehead can cool the headache & makes you relaxed & calm down.
- Also, a beneficial drink that is prepared using roasted cumin, fennel & coriander seeds that are grinded & added to boiling water can make vast differences with the pain.
- An oil treatment called Oil pulling or Kavala Graha helps in treating migraine. In this treatment, you can squish a tsp. of coconut oil in your mouth on an empty stomach for 15-20 minutes & then spit it out. This way, all the toxins & bacteria gets removed. You can later even brush your teeth.
- Shirodhara, Sneha Nasya, Shirovasti & Shirolepa are other Ayurvedic treatments that are quite beneficial.
These simple Ayurvedic remedies can go a long way for you if you undergo intense headaches every time& prove to be more beneficial than any other medications or painkillers.