We have always been told of having a lifestyle that promotes good health & wellbeing. People also speak of the various ways through we can achieve that & like any other human being, we also try & experiment different ways by which we can remain not just physically but mentally fit as well. The thumb rule for remaining fit is first to be physically active.
Being physically active doesn’t always mean to go to the gym or do yoga but, it can also mean any form of physical activity that makes you sweat & also make you go breathless like climbing stairs, carrying heavy shopping bags, etc. Furthermore, physical inactivity is said to be a serious health hazard globally by the World Health Organization. It is also said to be a crucial cause for many deaths& disabilities in nearly 2 million people in a year.
This is also caused due to many individual’s desk-bound or seated jobs & it is also seen in children where the focus is shifted from outdoor games to indoor games.
There are quite a few diseases that are caused due to lack of physical activity as below:
- Depression –lack of physical activity leads to stopping the mind from working&when the mind stops working in the right direction, it can lead to depression. When a person engages in physical activities, not just the body but, the mind also works.
- High blood pressure – people who suffer from hypertension, physical activity is a useful method for preventing the problem & also treating it. It helps in reducing systolic & diastolic blood pressure which in turn reduces blood pressure.
- Type 2 diabetes– resorting to physical activities manages to improve glucose levels in the body along with managing the blood pressure, lipid levels & overall quality of life.
- Obesity – the food we eat provides energy to our bodies but, important is to burn that energy through physical activities. And, when that doesn’t happen, the same energy gets transformed into fat which leads to obesity.
- Breast cancer – when levels of the sex & growth hormone ‘estrogen’ are higher or are not balanced in a women’s body, then the risk of breast cancer also increases. Physical inactivity is the main reason why such imbalances occur in a women’s body.
There are a few other diseases as well like renal diseases, insomnia, coronary heart diseases, osteoporosis, inflammatory diseases, etc. that are caused due to physical inactivity. Hence, remaining fit through physical activities is vital especially in today’s time & age where everybody needs to take out some time for themselves from their hectic schedules & focus a bit on remaining not just physically fit but mentally fit as well.